Are You Ready For Some Football?

8:57 AM

Are you ready for some football?!


I know I am. The Super Bowl has become somewhat of a new American Holiday 

As an American, I'll be partaking in celebrating, commemorating and consuming (football, ads, beer and wings). And none of my teams even made it!

Super Bowl LI is bound to be a cultural experience, a shared cultural experience
Today's event is a spot-on encapsulation of the dynamics and diversity of Trump's America. This game has the potential to be a defining cultural moment

How so, you may ask? 

1. With Houston as venue - it's a blue city in a red state.
2. Half-time show. Lady Gaga - ever heard of her? You probably have. She's a vocal powerhouse and an even more vocal supporter of women's empowerment and LGBTQ rights. Though the NFL might still be triggered by Beyonce's homage to the Black Panthers, I expect Lady Gaga to make some sort of statement. Where ya at, Little Monsters? 
3. The ads. I could tell you about it, or you can watch it.
4. Oh yeah. And the football. I am biased, so I'll let you google those Tom Brady / Trump memes.

With all that in mind - I'm hoping for a good game and looking to do some good too.

So here's my offer: For Super Bowl LI, I will be matching Falcons points to Planned Parenthood.

Mary will be cheering for her Patriots, and matching points to the ACLU

As a die-hard New Yorker, I can't root for Brady, and I donated to the ACLU last week.

I encourage you to make your own good. 

Think about it. 

Politics, religious views, tax bracket, gender, skin color aside - a good number of Americans will be sitting in front of their TVs, computers, phones. At bars, at parties, at home. In the suburbs. In the city. 

America will be watching, so let's make it count. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kerstein "KP" Perez obviously knows what's the sitch. KP lives in New York, New York; when she's not talking social justice she's rocking life as a woman in STEM. This badass boss lady talks cool but also speaks code. Thanks, KP for stopping by - even if you're not cheering for my home team. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments