Social Media, Engagement Season, & the Thoughts of an Angsty Single Lady

6:01 PM

I’m 26 years old. I live with my parents in my childhood home; I don’t know how to make a grilled cheese (like I get the concept, of course, but the actual good melty-gooey cheese kind continues to escape me). And everyone I know is (getting) married. While many of my nearest and dearest are building homes and lives with the ones that they love, I’m still in school (insert double peace-sign “chillin” face here). I go to school, and then work, and the gym. And sometimes it’s gym, school, work, and sometimes it’s work, gym, school… wow the possibilities are endless. (Waffles, friends, work… if you’re following along with my brain). Sometimes it’s any, all, or none of the above, and red wine.

Some days I wake up: I am woman, hear me roar, an independent goddess divine, with the ability and projection to do ANYTHING I DESIRE… and moments later *DING* (FACEBOOK notification: Jenny is engaged to Bob… another one?). The DING is followed by the “it’s just your age honey”s and the “he’s out there”s and of course the “you’re an intimidating girl!”s. Please now take a moment to look at your phones and the emoji board included; find the face that is made of three horizontal lines…note: that is my face when any of the above statements are said. -_- Gee, thanks.

That’s when it hits me, and oh boy, it hits me hard. I realize that if I were to start dating someone right this very moment, not even that would be enough. By the time I’d have the option or ability to set my own DING off and educes the -_- face on my immediate peers – I’d be no less than 28 *crosses "married at first sight of the list*… and by then, all the “what’s taking so longs” may have already begun… *begins to sweat*.

Oh world, oh world. In this state of hysteria and woah that is surely the result of our generation's need for constant display, and affirmation, and information sharing *shares intellectual TEDTalk, LIKE LIKE LIKEs several good friend's new prof pics, and applies just one more filter before posting a photo* we run screaming into the masses. Swipe left. Swipe right. Who talks first? Do I talk first? Should I go over there? Should I stay here? Maybe I care too much? Maybe I don't care enough? 

For some, any and all of these tactics will work. They've found love in the millenial generation (i.e. a truly hopeless place). For the outstandingly socially ill-equipped and those lacking confidence (like myself) the digital dating saga isn’t the one… *crosses #tinderlove off the list*; blind dates? Not a chance. I wouldn’t show up. (LOL. Sorry but true). What about a guy at the gym, you ask? What about a bar? WOAH, WOAH, WOAH – let’s manage our expectations, Pal!

No, No. I decide whatever meet-cute the universe has intended for me is best left alone. As such, I choose to accept the “he’s out there” option. 

BUT WHEN?! WHO?! My desperate braces-wearing-too-tight-pony-tailed internal-angsty teen cries out! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

NOTHING. I shout back at the 13-year-old mentality that’s now taken a lease in my brain.

Then, it dawns on me! NOTHING!! NOTHING IS WRONG WITH ME!!

I’m an angsty 26-year-old, yes, but I'm trying to make things happen in the world get through one day at a time, and at that: I’m doing pretty dang well!! I’ve seen my fair share of the world. I’ve had days of working hard, and days of hardly working. I’ve had the privilege of sharing good food with great people, and big laughs over big glasses. I know enough about politics, and art, and good music. Gosh darnit! I can name all 50 states AND show you where they are on a map! (Are you smarter than a 5th grader status: unsure. But I’ll take it). Do I like big gestures and also the unexciting but oh-so-articulate romance of When Harry Met Sally (“And it’s not because I’m lonely…” swoon)? YES, OF COURSE, but just because I have yet to ring in the new year wearing an off-the-shoulder emerland green ensem, does not mean the rest of the makings of my life are less valuable. And it certainly doesn't mean that I do all those other things as a means of building my resume in the hopes of appealing to the proverbial One

My yearning, burning (sing Supremes here) desire for affection, affirmation, and connection… that’s not embarrassing, or weird, or pathetic… GIRLFRIEND, THAT’S YOUR HUMANITY!

Right? I mean, isn’t it? We were made to be social creatures. The very essence of our very humanity draws on that socialization.

So, this isn’t a sentiment on how to be single (although, your observation of my life and times may teach you just that); and this isn’t a how-to on what to do while your waiting for your prince(ess) charming to appear…

No, this is no attempt at advice or empowerment. This isn’t a suggestion of YOU DON’T NEED NO MAN or how to get a guy in 10 days… oh, no. This is none of those things.

This is just me, telling you:  you, me,  we're doing just fine. That I am also single, and that I’m ok awesome and average, and sometimes averagely awesome, and other times awesomely average. TAKE THAT FACEBOOK: DING DING DING!! I’m single!!

Maybe, just maybe, you wouldn’t feel so sad, or lonely, or behind, or in a hurry, if you knew there were more of us out there.

Not EVERYONE is getting married, or engaged, or buying sofas together…

And the truth is: it’s okay to be really elatedly, deliciously happy for those who are; your friends, your family members, that random girl that added you on Facebook before you arrived on campus your freshmen year but never actually met, or spoke… even she deserves your well-wishes and a confetti-popper emoji! And the more time you we spend, being resentful of those relationships and milestones the less time and energy we have to celebrate them. 

But even more so, it’s also okay to want those things someday, or right now, or not at all. Because as people we were made, designed, with the capability and complexity to give love, and share love, and receive love.

I will offer that maybe love isn’t the solution we’re all looking for. Maybe this feeling of want comes from our ability give more than we are, rather than our lack of absolutely anything.

I think we’ve (read: I’ve) gotten into a stage in life where to be single and not actively be "doing anything about it" educes in us a sense of shame… the more shame we feel, the less we talk about it. The less we talk about it, the less other people talk about it. The less other people talk about it, the more shame we educe. I think as a generation we have developed a terrible habit of confusing what we want and what other people have. 

So, here’s my sign-off proposal: don’t be sad, or embarrassed, or ashamed that you’re not “sweating for the wedding” or that he didn’t like it so he didn’t “put a ring on it.” Don’t hide away in the secret place that the single go (aka their bed, obviously alone, to watch Netflix). No, instead get out there and do the things you like, and not “in the meantime.” I mean, do them, really do them. Go to the bookstore, and get coffee, and climb to the tops of mountains (although, on second thought maybe don’t do this one completely alone) and shout to the hills and valleys below: “I AM A SINGLE LADY” (feel free to write your own mantra for this exercise.) The purpose of your life, your time, and your talent is not appeal to someone else. Stop with the "maybe I'll meet my husband in this pottery class" - take the pottery class because you want to. And when you do that, you won't be disappointed when all you find is pottery instead of a soulmate. 

Who knows? In all your adventuring, you just might meet somebody ;) … and if not, that’s okay too… maybe instead, we'll meet, and fall deeper and/or deeply into the greatest and longest love we’ll ever know: ourselves. 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Had me laughing!! You are so funny. You live you sign off proposal!! you do the things you love and you aren't waiting for something... you're living it up!! Now go catch up on some correspondence at starbucks already!!! love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. Love it. 9 years ahead of you I want you to know that somebody's grass is always going to be greener, more cultivated, accomplished, praise-worthy, etc. I wish I could have realized at 26 that my (your) little house on the hill is the best most perfect house for myself (you) then I promise that when the swing set and picket fence arrives you'll be thankful for the additions but oh so grateful that you learned the value of yourself before they arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, you are awesome! (No average about it.) And this might sound hypocritical coming from me, but I'm a firm believer that having or not having a relationship (or spouse) is not an indication of your success or self-worth. I know happy and unhappy married people, and I know happy and unhappy single people. You do you, girl! I think your bookstore/coffee/mountain day sounds pretty dang awesome - like you! :-*

    ReplyDelete